Fionn Regan on BBC Radio 1 (2/12/07)

Posted on Tuesday 6 March 2007

Fionn Regan
My recent find/guy on repeat, Fionn Regan recently played a set of tracks for BBC Radio 1. Included are one of my favorites from The End of History, “Snowy Atlas Mountains,” as well as a few non-album tracks. “The Ballad of the Toad Eaters” is absolutely fantastic, and is on par with anything from the album. There’s also a cover of The Beatles’ “Getting Better” which is a nice homage but has him trudging into the ‘adult contemporary’ area. Covers can be tricky like that. Through the set, his voice sounds a bit less simple and sweet like say John Orth from Holopaw, and more forced and over-accentuated like that of Goldspot’s lead singer, Siddhartha Khosla. I still think the songs are good and that he sounds like he’d be great to see live, I just hope when he finally gets here its not for one of these overcrowded hipster consumer shows. I can’t stand to listen to KCRW, so for all I know he’s already on there and I’m just behind the yuppie taste makers. Regardless it’s a great set, if for no other reason for the upbeat version of “Ballad of the Toad Eaters.”

[photo by Jason Upshaw]

Fionn Regan live on BBC Radio 1
: 01 The Ballad of the Toad Eaters :
: 02 Medicine Chest :
: 03 Snowy Atlas Mountains :
: 04 The End of History :
: 05 Getting Better (Beatles cover) :

Tags: ,

Wicker Man
    7 March 2007 | 11:47 am

He looks like a young Mike Scott in that photo.

‘The End of History’ is a great album, but now the early EPs are as rare as hen’s teeth, there just isn’t enough Fionn to cram in my ears, so thanks for these. One question though – the sound quality seems very crummy. Is that just the bit rate the songs were encoded at, or did they sound like that on the radio?

Hope to see the boy live myself before long. Meanwhile, I’d recommend catching the excellent promo films for ‘Put a Penny In the Slot’ and ‘Be Good or Be Gone’ on YouTube.

Thanks again.

7 March 2007 | 2:42 pm

The sound quality was what I found it at. I think it was the limitation of the radio web stream. Yeah I wish I could have got them at a higher bitrate… but I still find them listenable, so better this than nothing.

Wicker Man
    9 March 2007 | 7:16 am

Oh, absolutely.
    Hope I didn’t sound ungrateful – it’s especially good to hear some ‘new’ songs.
    Thanks again (again) for posting these.

9 March 2007 | 11:48 am

I didn’t take it as snotty… glad you enjoyed them.

15 March 2007 | 10:32 am

Thanks a million for these great songs!

15 March 2007 | 10:34 am

Btw, you might experience some more activity on the site. I did a repost of the files + linking to your website today (http://peanutsplayground.com/?p=557).
    Hope you don’t mind…

15 March 2007 | 10:44 am

of course not, and thanks for the link.

Louis Greaves
    30 October 2007 | 5:09 pm

Thanks so much for this, as always there can’t be enough music from such a talented artist as Fionn. The album is great, saw him in Leeds last Friday with a band and it was superb! What a noise with a great band, more more more!

Nigel
    7 January 2008 | 6:34 pm

Thanks for these – I’ve heard toad eaters live a couple of times and was searching for a recording.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.